At 65 years old, I’ve been fortunate to have worked very closely with many successful people.
These interactions have taught me 7 simple rules to ensure success.
1. Build Two or Three Core Competencies Over Your Lifetime: The first item on the to-do-list is to build a couple of lifetime core competencies. Find two or three things that you are really good at, what you like doing, and what you can do your whole life.
2. Grow Good Connections – Starve Bad Connections: As you go through life you will make a lot of connections with all kinds of people. You need to identify those connections which are good for you and help you grow and thrive, and you need to identify those connections that are not good for you and actually prevent you from achieving success.
3. Do Not Hesitate To Hire Professional Help: One of the biggest factors for failure is not hiring Subject Matter Experts to help you achieve your goals. Everyone reaches a point where they need professionals with right background and experience to help make key decisions.
4. Keep Asking “What Next”: Anyone, however innovative or successful, will plateau over a period of time. The key to continued success is to have a vision that extends beyond the short term. The question is whether you are prepared for next phase of innovation before happens.
5. Focus on the Intent: You need to keep a laser like focus on what you are trying to achieve.
6. Drive for Consistency: It is critical that you understand that people around you can work with you in more productive ways if they can predict with some certainty what you are going to do.
8. Seek Honesty in all things: Particularly about yourself.