Pelosi Argument to Impeach Trump
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi published a “fact sheet” detailing her ongoing impeachment inquiry into President Trump; claiming the Commander-in-Chief has “betrayed his oath of office. Essentially this is the Pelosi Argument to Impeach Trump.
“Do us a favor though…” – President Trump
On September 25, the White House released a record of President Trump’s call with Ukrainian President Zelensky, which paints a damning picture of Trump abusing his office by pressing a foreign government to interfere in our 2020 elections.
President Trump has betrayed his oath of office, betrayed our national security and betrayed the integrity of our elections for his own personal political gain.
In President Trump’s own words:
- “I will say that we do a lot for Ukraine … I wouldn’t say that it’s reciprocal necessarily because things are happening that are not good but the United States has been very very good to Ukraine.”
- “I would like you to do us a favor though because our country has been through a lot and Ukraine knows a lot about it.”
- “There’s a lot of talk about Biden’s son, that Biden stopped the prosecution and a lot of people want to find out about that so whatever you can do with the Attorney General would be great. Biden went around bragging that he stopped the prosecution so if you can look into it… It sounds horrible to me.”
- “I will have Mr. Giuliani give you a call and I am also going to have Attorney General Barr call and we will get to the bottom of it. I’m sure you will figure it out.”
THE PRESSURE CAMPAIGN
“As I said on the phone, I think it’s crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign.” – U.S. Ambassador Bill Taylor
In recent weeks, the nation has learned more about how President Trump abused the power of the presidency by using multiple levers of government – from Vice President Pence to the State Department, including Secretary Mike Pompeo, Ambassador Gordon Sondland, and Ambassador Kurt Volker – to advance a scheme to undermine our 2020 elections for his political gain, and then to obstruct the congressional inquiry into that scheme.
Vice President Pence is entangled in this scandal. According to press reports, in September, Pence met with Ukrainian President Zelensky in Poland and “conveyed the news that hundreds of millions of dollars in U.S. aid to Ukraine was not going to be released amid concerns about the country’s lagging efforts to combat corruption.” The withholding of aid may have been an effort to pressure Ukraine into announcing investigations into President Trump’s 2020 political rival to help the president’s reelection.
Secretary Pompeo was a fact witness to President Trump’s stunning abuse of power. The Secretary listened to the July 25 phone call between President Trump and President Zelensky in which Trump pressed the Ukrainian leader to interfere in our 2020 election by opening these sham investigations. Secretary Pompeo appears to have said nothing to stop President Trump from this inappropriate pressure campaign.
Text messages between Ambassadors Kurt Volker, Gordon Sondland and Bill Taylor paint the picture of a President who waged a months-long pressure campaign to shake down Ukraine for his own personal political gain, potentially using a White House presidential visit and critical military assistance to Ukraine as leverage:
THE TEXT MESSAGES BETWEEN U.S. OFFICIALS:
State Department officials discuss a White House visit in exchange for a Ukraine statement:
- [8/9/19, 5:35:53 PM] Gordon Sondland: Morrison ready to get dates as soon as Yermak confirms.
- [8/9/19, 5:46:21 PM] Kurt Volker: Excellent!!! How did you sway him? 🙂
- [8/9/19, 5: 47:34 PM] Gordon Sondland: Not sure i did. I think potus really wants the deliverable.
Concerns About Ukraine Becoming an “Instrument” in U.S. Politics:
- [7/21/19, 1:45:54 AM] Bill Taylor: Gordon, one thing Kurt and I talked about yesterday was Sasha Danyliuk’s point that President Zelenskyy is sensitive about Ukraine being taken seriously, not merely as an instrument in Washington domestic, reelection politics.
- [7/21/19, 4:45:44 AM] Gordon Sondland: Absolutely, but we need to get the conversation started and the relationship built, irrespective of the pretext. I am worried about the alternative.<
Ambassador Taylor Sought Clarification and Expressed Concerns About Withholding U.S. Military Assistance in Exchange for Launching an Investigation:
- [9/1/19, 12:08:57 PM] Bill Taylor: Are we now saying that security assistance and WH meeting are conditioned on investigations?
- [9/1/19, 12:42:29 PM] Gordon Sondland: Call me
- [9/9/19, 12:37:16 AM] Gordon Sondland: Bill, I never said I was “right”. I said we are where we are and believe we have identified the best pathway forward. Lets hope it works.
- [9/9/19, 12:47:11 AM] Bill Taylor: As I said on the phone, I think it’s crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign.
THE COVER UP
“The President of the United States is using the power of his office to solicit interference from a foreign country in the 2020 U.S. election… I am concerned these actions pose risks to U.S. national security…” – Unclassified Whistleblower Complaint
On September 26, the House Intelligence Committee released the redacted version of a whistleblower complaint filed with the Intelligence Community Inspector General, which the IG found to be of “urgent concern” and “credible.”
The White House’s record of the July 25 presidential call between Presidents Trump and Zelensky corroborates allegations made in the whistleblower complaint, in particular, that President Trump betrayed his oath of office by using the U.S. government and outside actors to advance his scheme to shake down the Ukrainian government to interfere in the 2020 elections.
The whistleblower complaint states:
- “I have received information from multiple U.S. Government officials that the President of the United States is using the power of his office to solicit interference from a foreign country in
the 2020 U.S. election. … The President’ s personal lawyer, Mr. Rudolph Giuliani,is a central figure in this effort. Attorney General Barr appears to be involved as well.”
- “I am also concerned that these actions pose risks to U.S. national security and undermine the U.S. Government’s
efforts to deter and counter foreign interference in U.S. elections.”
- “[S]enior White House officials had intervened to ‘lock down’ all records of the phone call, especially the official word-for-word transcript of the call… the transcript was loaded into a separate electronic system… used to store and handle classified information of an especially sensitive nature.”
- “One White House official described this act as an abuse of this electronic system because the call did not contain anything remotely sensitive from a national security perspective.”
This represents the Pelosi Argument to Impeach Trump.